Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Behind the scenes


I've mentioned several times in the last few months about medical issues,  being mentally and physically tired and stressed. I think it's time to share my story.

In January I found a lump in my right breast. I spent two weeks keeping it to myself.  I didn't want to add any more stress and worry to R. Heaven knows he has enough medical stuff of his own to worry about.  But keeping this quiet put me in a constant state of dread and depression.

Finally I just told him. He scheduled me a doctor's appointment for the very next day with our family doctor.  He thought it might just be an infected gland and started me on antibiotics.  But (because of my age and because I've never had one) he scheduled me for a mammogram just to be sure.

One week later my mammogram confirmed a mass. They then scheduled  me for an ultrasound but again, had to wait another week for that.

At the ultrasound appointment, it was clearly visible on the screen.  The tech took over a dozen photos of it. The doctor took a look and reported that it is a solid mass, not a fluid cyst. The only way to know if it's cancer is to do a biopsy.  He told me the nurse would call me the next day to schedule it.

(Meantime.... I'm kinda freaking out!)

The nurse called and said that in reviewing my account,  she finds that I am a self pay patient (meaning I have no insurance). It's true I tell her. She then tells me that they do not do biopsies on self pay patients.  So basically,  sorry you might have cancer but we aren't going to tell you for sure.

I started going to different places to try to get this done.  Everyone kept telling me no, not without insurance. Three weeks and 6 different places later....... I found a hospital that will do the biopsy.  And again  I have to wait a week.

Waiting.....worrying.....Waiting.....worrying.....

Then the day comes for the biopsy.  First they have to do their own ultrasound.  And the radiologist request more photos,  so they do a second ultrasound. Then the biopsy,  which I was dreading.  But it wasn't as painful as I thought it would be. They took the samples from the mass and then inserted a metal clamp to mark the spot where the samples came from (for future reference). Then after the biopsy they did another mammogram to confirm and photograph the metal marker.  They wrapped me up in big bandages and ice packs and sent me home to wait. (This was my four days of rest that I mentioned.)

Wait three days for resuls.......

Finally, on the 12th I get the results.  IT'S NOT CANCER. But it is a rapid growing mass and it needs to be taken out. This is scheduled for April.

So much stress was lifted off our shoulders. I'm relieved and so blessed. I'm sure this is something they will keep an eye on in the future. I know I will always be on the look out for anything new.

It's been a tough three months. But I finally feel like I'm getting my energy and motivation back. For awhile I just didn't feel like even getting out of bed.

Girls,  please take care of yourselves. Get your yearly exams and do the self exams every month.

I'll keep you posted about my upcoming surgery and recovery.


3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry you have been going through this, but so relieved that it's not cancer. I couldn't imagine keeping this kind of thing bottled up.

    Yet another reason to be thankful for what we have and to take care of ourselves while we still can!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it's not cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how I missed this post, but I never read it until you sent me the link. It's a relief it's not cancer, but I am furious that so many places refused to do the biopsy without insurance. It's a stressful enough situation without you having to go all over the place to find a place to tell you if it's cancerous or not!

    ReplyDelete